“Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.”
Stairway to Heaven. I know it’s a favorite, but honestly, I really don’t like that song. My friend Leia, who I went on that road trip with two weeks ago, she has three versions of it on her iPad. So guess what I got to listen to about five times during that trip? That’s right, Stairway to Heaven.
But it got me to thinking, there are just some songs that you need to listen to on a road trip. Everyone’s list is probably going to a be a little different, but with the help of a few friends, I put together my top songs for the road (in no particular order).
1. Colorado – Paper Bird. A great song for those windy country roads through the mountains of Colorado. Play it with the windows down and sing along at the top of your lungs.
2. Home – Edward Sharpe and The Magnetic Zeros. Driving home? On a road trip with your significant other? This is another fun, upbeat song that you’ll want to sing along to.
3. The way I live – Baby Boy Da Prince. Guilty pleasure song number one. This reminds me of riding around St. Pete, Florida with my friends during my college years – windows down, music blasting. Pump up the bass and get your gangsta on.
4. Ride – Lana Del Rey. I think the title says it all. This is a must play on a road trip. Great to play as the sun is setting and the air is cooling down at the onset of the evening.
5. Free Bird – Lynyrd Skynyrd. Classic rock is always a good choice (except when it’s Stairway to Heaven) and this song is even better since it’s about being free, and when are you more free than when you’re on the road?
6. When U Love Somebody – Fruit Bats. Just because…it’s cute!
7. Thrift Shop – Macklemore and Ryan Lewis. Guilty pleasure song number two. This brings to mind those days when my mom would drive us an hour to go to a super sized thrift store that she loved. But honestly, who doesn’t like this song? Good to bounce and jam along to – keeps the energy up!
8. Take the Money and Run – Steve Miller Band. Another oldie but goodie. Maybe you can pretend like you’re Billy Joe and Bobby Sue on the run…
9. Learning to Love again – Mat Kearney. A really mellow song that really hits home with me. Something I’d play at night while deep in my own thoughts, watching the world pass by out the window.
10. Into the Wild Soundtrack – Eddie Vedder. Honestly, this entire soundtrack is great for a road trip. I love it. But if I was to pick one song I might go with Hard Sun (note: this video isn’t too great, but it had the best audio of the videos I was finding)
And now for some recommendations from a few friends…
11. Leia (my road trip buddy from two weeks ago): The End – The Doors. (note: again, not the greatest quality video but good audio and in full)
12. Courtney (another friend who is often traveling places): Doin’ Time – Sublime.
13. Katie (my awesome roommate who has opened my eyes to some fantastic music): Send Me on My Way – Rusted Root.
14. Ashley (a favorite former roommate and good friend): I’m Shipping Up to Boston – Dropkick Murphys.
15. Kelly (Freakazoid 2013, Snardy Pants, my sister and the other writer for our blog): Fast Car – Boyce Avenue Cover ft. Kina Grannis (Tracy Chapman)
AND (sorry I couldn’t pick just one) Ride Wit Me – Nelly.
What’s your favorite song to listen to while driving in the car? Always looking for new music to add to the list!
Peace out cub scout!