“The core of mans’ spirit comes from new experiences.” -Chris McCandless, Into the Wild
Everybody likes to sit back and watch a great movie every once in a while. Other times, you find yourself looking out the window, longing to be somewhere else. Why not combine the two? Here’s a list of a few films that will transport you to another part of the world all while sitting on your living room couch!
1. Into the Wild – The epitome of adventure. Complete and utter freedom – no car, no identity, no job. The book is better, but the film is surprisingly good too. It takes you from city to farm to the Alaskan wilderness with a free-spririted, slightly crazy, but extremely lovable young man. And the soundtrack is good too. Check it out in my post about music for roadtrips.
2. Up – One of my favorite kid’s movies ever. There’s a lovable talking dog, a very eager and energetic boy scout and a grumpy old man who changes back to the adventurer he once was over the course of the film. Be prepared to a shed a tear in the first five minutes of the film, but after that sit back and enjoy a few laughs and a great trip with a flying house!
3. Eat, Pray, Love – I couldn’t go without having at least one chick flick on the list, could I? Say what you will about the story, but it’s still a fun adventure from Italy, to India and then Indonesia from a woman’s perspective. And don’t forget the added romance (of course). If you’re not into this one, check out Under the Tuscan Sun, another film based off of a book. This is a personal favorite of mine. I like it better than Eat, Pray, Love, but, I felt there was more travel in the latter.
4. Back to the Future – Not what you would typically think of in the travel sense, but time travel should count too, right? Well I think it does. This is a fun, older “sci-fi” movie that will get you thinking about what it would be like to go back in time. Or, in the case of Back to the Future Part II, head into the future.
4. The Bucket List – Two men try to do all the things on their bucket list – things they want to complete before they die. This movie is funny, cute and a little sad at times as these men travel across the world. Definitely a must see. It’ll make you want to come up with your own bucket list. I hope I can do this one day!
Are there any other travel films that you enjoy? Hope you get a chance to see these!